HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Phil Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 09:19:51 -0700
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (DebbyG) wrote:

> Slimer (??) wrote:
> [log in to unmask] (Dave Anderson) wrote:
>
> >I have 3 HP3000s connected together with a thin lan cable.  This goes
> >from computer to DTC to computer to DTC, etc. Dsline, dscopy, etc, all is
>
> >well.  To save money we bought a thin lan to twisted pair converter and
> >plugged it into our 3COM hub.  I have a HP9000 in another state and they
> >want to logon to the 3000 probably using  TELNET.  We are getting
> >Connection refused.  We can exchange files with FTP no problem but no
> >interactive access.  What would I need to do or where do I need to look
> >to make this happen??
>
> Dave
>   I know this is a stupid question, please forgive me.

[stupid questions snipped, more added!]

This reminds me of a problem a customer was having connecting to a daemon
of ours running on a 3000. The nodename they were trying to use was the
one assigned to the DTC, while our daemon ran on the 3000. I mean, since
they telnet'ed to the DTC, they came to think of that as the 3000. When
they used the right nodename (which had 'ftp' in it, I recall) they were
able to connect.

So I have another stupid question: are you sure you're telnetting to the
DTC (and I assume you do have a TAC) and not the 3000? The FTP daemon runs
on the 3000, you see. Your telnet access card is not at that address, I
bet.
--
Phil
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]