HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
"Geiser, Joseph" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Geiser, Joseph
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 13:46:52 -0400
----------
From:   Mike Farrell[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Thursday, May 16, 1996 2:13 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list HP3000-L
Subject:        NMMGR and configuring an IP address

Okay...I'm convinced that I do need a specific IP address on my HP3000. I
know that when my ASE was here back in November he used NMMGR to put in a
random IP address. Something like 192.0.0.0 or some such number. I guess
what I really need to know is does this number need to be a FCC licensed
IP address or can it be just a random number? I'm showing my ignorance
here on IP addressing.

Mike,

This entirely depends on whether you plan on connecting to the Internet.  If you have
absolutely no plans on connecting to the Internet - then you can use any address,
as long as you're using four octects separated by periods.

If you are going to connect to the net (you WILL someday - you can bank on it), you
should obtain a Registered IP Address space from InterNIC.  This is the agency
which doles out IP Addresses and Domain Names.

You can use a FTP to RS.INTERNIC.NET (using any online provider such as CompuServe
or AOL - they have FTP clients built into them).  The forms, which can be e-mailed or
snail-mailed to InterNIC, who, within your lifetime <g><just kidding>, turn around an address space.

Best Regards,
Joe Geiser