HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 23:08:55 EDT
Given the recent comments on the "HELP HELP HELP" position announcement
message and the recently numerous "\\\\*** Position Available ***///" ones
such as the one referenced above, let me take a minute of your time:

#ifdef __LIST_MAINTAINER
#include <sys/soapbox.h>

In the first example above, the original poster had first attempted to
retrieve the HP3000-L list membership file from Listserv, which was
rejected; he asked why, and I replied to prevent "spam" target hacks
and bots from vacuuming addresses from our membership.  He then asked
if direct mail to these addresses (not a post to the list) constituted
spam, which I politely explained was most definately true and the sole
reason for restricting outside reviews of the list.  I continued to
suggest that occasional, non-repetitive postings of a very brief nature
with an e-mail or web URL for follow-up information was traditionally OK;
and followed up with a reference to Chris Bartram's 3000 Classifieds page
on www.3k.com.  The same follows for commercial ads but I think that we
are more universally tolerant of product plugs, particuarly in context of
an ongoing discussion, and they can also reference follow-up address/URL
and/or Chris's vendor/product listings page.

The bottom line of the first case appeared to be the misleading subject,
and I concur.  I didn't expect the result when I replied with my opinion
to the author originally (and consequently had the "thanks Jeff" at the
end of the post as a result of my previous dialogue with him I assume).

The second case from the compuserve poster is becoming more frequent and
more lengthy, and the combination of all the above led me to make some
sort of statement here.  However, I have *no* official authority except
over the mailing list side of the coin; now that comp.sys.hp.mpe is an
official, unmoderated, anarchist newsgroup it will continue to exist no
matter what happens to me, UTCVM, or if Chattanooga slides into the
Tennessee river, or the upriver dam breaks, or whatever :-)

My only "active" role, in fact a passive one thanks to Listserv, is to
block "spams" as detected by the Listserv server network.  I never forward
the trapped spams to the list (and they are getting quite numerous) but as
such that is the extent of my editorial involvement.  "Spams" coming in from
the newsgroup are beyond my control since we have no news server locally and
thus I can't cancel articles.

So I would suggest for the benefit of everyone involved that if you feel
that something posted is inappropriate, by all means please reply *direct*
to the originator and let them have your opinions.  Don't post to the list,
which wastes more bandwidth (and yes, I'm guilty of that here, but in hopes
this is a productive intent).  The list belongs to you, and you have just
as much editorial power (other than the noted exception above) that I do.
I can't stop, nor review, nor moderate any list postings other than those
that are inadvertently sent to owner-hp3000-l by mistake, or those messages
caught by Listserv as a suspicious bounce or spam.

#include <modest/std.disclaimer>
#endif

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>