HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 16 May 1996 10:20:44 -0400373_- Mike,

Yes, you will to supply an IP address to your HP3000, even if just using =
VT, because most VT providers <plug> such as Reflection Network Series =
</plug> bundle that with a TCP/IP stack.

If it's pre-MPE/iX 5.0, or (heaven forbid :-) MPE-V, you'll also need =
LanLink software as well. This comes bundled with 5.0, however. [...]40_16May199610:20:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 19:20:22 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> > On Wed, 15 May 1996 07:52:00 +0500 Alan AMBERS said:
> > >Some time on Tuesday, Jeff said  [boy, I wish my mailer would do this]
> >                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >                                   [talk to Chris :-) ]
>
> I think it is more of a HP Opendesk GUI problem, vs DESKLINK, but I would
> love to have Chris tell me I'm wrong.

I think what Jeff was referring to was that in NetMail, when you REPLY to
a message, it copies the original text into the new message for you,
appropriately indented with ">"s... That functionality is strictly a function
of the user interface (NetMail vs HPDesk/HPDesk GUI). Most Un*x mailers also
act similarly when REPLYing.

> >        ^^^^^
> > >I was not specific enough on my original post.  I am refering to PCs
> > >connecting to HP3000, NOT HP3000 to HP3000.
> >
> > In that case no, you need not worry about probe unless you have some really
> > ancient, arcane NS/VT terminal emulator that expects probe to be present.
> > But if you have your choices with your PC TCP stacks, be sure to make them
> > do name resolution in hosts, DNS, probe sequence (I think WRQ defaults to
> > probe first).
> >
> > Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
>
> I just looked at the WRQ setting options and they are:
>
> Hosts file only
> Hosts file, than DNR
> DNR, then hosts file
> DNR only
>
> The default is DNR, then Hosts file.

The above is from the TCP/IP settings area of RNS. If you also look in the
"HP3000 settings" area (assuming you're running RNS for windows), you'll also
see the following choices:

  o Do not use Probe
  o Use probe BEFORE Domain Name Search
  o Use probe AFTER Domain Name Search

Personally, I like DNS but don't like to put all my eggs in one basket.
Probe's probably a little faster, and as some of us have HP3000 node names
that may not match DNS names, I say the easier (and faster) the users can
connect to their friendly-neighborhood HP 3000, the better. [Quick summary;
I use probe BEFORE DNS.]

             -Chris Bartram