HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 14:27:08 EDT
Forward for Alan Ambers...
Jeff
The enclosed message, found in the HP3000-L mailbox and shown under the spool
ID 7795 in the  system log, has been identified as  a possible delivery error
notice  for the  following reason:  "Sender:", "From:"  or "Reply-To:"  field
pointing to the list has been found in mail body.
------------------------ Message in error (91 lines) --------------------------
On Wednesday, Jeff promptly replyed......

> Sender: HP-3000 Systems Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
> From: Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
> To: Multiple recipients of list HP3000-L <[log in to unmask]>
>
> On Wed, 15 May 1996 07:52:00 +0500 Alan AMBERS said:
> >Some time on Tuesday, Jeff said  [boy, I wish my mailer would do this]
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                                   [talk to Chris :-) ]

I think it is more of a HP Opendesk GUI problem, vs DESKLINK, but I would
love to have Chris tell me I'm wrong.

> >> Bottom line -- if your machines are initiating lots of connections with
> >> (an)other 3000(s) you might improve the connection time by leaving probe
>        ^^^^^
> >I was not specific enough on my original post.  I am refering to PCs
> >connecting to HP3000, NOT HP3000 to HP3000.
>
> In that case no, you need not worry about probe unless you have some really
> ancient, arcane NS/VT terminal emulator that expects probe to be present.
> But if you have your choices with your PC TCP stacks, be sure to make them
> do name resolution in hosts, DNS, probe sequence (I think WRQ defaults to
> probe first).
>
> Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

I just looked at the WRQ setting options and they are:

Hosts file only
Hosts file, than DNR
DNR, then hosts file
DNR only

The default is DNR, then Hosts file.

There is a comment in the help file on this screen that I can't quite see
how to make it fit.  The comment is:

For the 3000 Connection, this setting implies an order for Probe as well.

I guess that would mean that Probe is done at the same time as "DNR".
Does that sound right?

We currently do not use a hosts file since we were burned with merging
hosts (HP3000s) and the addresses changed.  In my opinion, dealing with
one hosts file on the DNS machine is easier than keeping up with a few
hundred PCs.  Of course, when your DNS machine goes down......

/alan