HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 07:32:37 -0700
Jeff Kell writes (in part):

>[very good stuff snipped]

I like the lengthy J.K. posts. They are very lucid and enlightening. Good
stuff. Not to be missed. If you didn't read it, I'd suggest strongly you
do so now!

>All we want, if we can only have one wish, is to embrace the 3000 as a viable
>platform.  Without that, the rest is for naught, or as Alfredo put it, we are
>just "rearranging furniture on the Titanic".  Until there is some influx of
>R&D into CSY, there will be no one to carry the ball.

Couldn't agree more. I have felt recently that we are suffering from a touch
of sibling rivalry. It used to be the 3000 was THE platform and we got all the
R&D attention. Now, the 9000 and NT are the new kids and they get all the
attention. Since we are old enough to 'take care of ourselves' we don't get
that extra special attention we used to get. Unfortunately in this case, its
all too true and HP isn't bothering to give the 3000 the tools it needs to
stay viable. At least in a more timely fashion.

Posix support is a good start. It needs to get smoothed out and other newer
industry trends need to be supported. I think HP should take some of the money
they are saving from unplugging their mainframes and pay Gavin to do a Java
port to the 3000. I have other wishes as well, but I don't feel like beating
those dead horses today.

>Enough rambling.  At HPWorld we need to make a loud but constructive noise.

Amen. (not about the rambling, but the HPWorld comment)

To: HP (hopefully you are listening):

Not all application software vendors feel that migrating to Unix is better
for their customers. In fact, I bet most application software vendors choose
to migrate to Unix so it will be better for *them*. They probably have
convinced themselves and their customers that since they will be better off
their customers will be better off. This is basically hogwash. Only trust an
application software vendor as far as you can throw them. I should know,
I've been one for 16 years.

To 3000-l: (I know you are listening):

I predict the following. HP is strategically phasing out the 3000 in favor of
Unix on the high end and NT on the low-midrange. With overlap of course in the
middle area. There is no other strategy to justify their decision making with
regard to the 3000. This is one prediction I hope is dead wrong.

Duane Percox  (QSS)
[log in to unmask] (415-306-1608, fax 415-365-2706)
http://www.aimnet.com/~qssnet/
 ftp://ftp.aimnet.com/pub/users/qssnet/
"The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas." -- Linus Pauling