HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 May 1996 17:41:13 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-17 15:39:00 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Marvin
Barnes) writes:

>?
>
>HPWORLD is only the HP show.  Interex has and will continue to be Interex
>with tsupport for the HP1000 (the original reason for Interex), the HP9000
>and the HP3000.  Advocacy has been and will continue to be one of the many
>benefits of Interex.  Advocacy is for all Interex members and not just us
>HP3000 users.  The power of Interex is advocating for all to HP.

Sorry to disagree here, but the HP 1000 is NOT the original reason for
Interex.  As a matter of fact, the users group started up as the HP3000
International Users Group way back in the 70s.  I was the chairman of the
HP3000IUG Conference in Montreal in 1983.  I still have memorabilia of that
one with HP3000 IUG plastered all ove. It was only years later that the
HP3000IUG changed its name to Interex after adding the HP 1000 users group.
 Later still Interex expanded to include the HP 9000 and other stuff.  I
still remember that, that after we added the HP 1000 users group, we had to
specify a couple of positions on the board as being from the Technical side
(aka HP 1000).  The HP 1000 users group was too small to be assured
representation on the board via elections.

In other words, the HP 3000 created and launched the users group.