HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 1996 15:23:47 -0400
We have an application that we're trying to set up to use a =
bi-synchronous
serial connection to an IBM host, ideally with an HP3000 or an HP9000.  =
The
problem we're running into though is that it would seem software to do =
this
is almost -- well -- non-existent.

HP themselves has a fairly nice SNA product, but it does 8800 emulation =
--
not 3270 -- and as far as I know, it doesn't support a bi-sync link.  =
(It

If anyone could suggest a software product to let an HP3000 or an HP9000
talk to an IBM over a SERIAL connection (SNA or Bi-sync) while emulating =
3270, PLEASE let me know.

Shucks -- If you can even recommend a PC product that'll do 3270 and =
bi-sync
I'll listen.  I can always have a PC running Reflection, etc., act as a
mediator between the worlds of blue and beige, effectively giving me the
connection we want with only minor worries.

Many TIA for any assistance.

Curtis, MANY moons ago (over ten years), I did a bisynch connection from =
a 3000 (MPE V, of course) to an IBM over a dedicated line using a set of =
non-public HP intrinsics called "CS/3000".  How good is your =
relationahip with HP (and how knowledgeable is your HP contact)?  If =
good, it might be worth giving it a try.  CS300 was the (and is?) the =
underpinning for the HP IBM connect products like RJE.

Aside - The MI people at the IBM site we connected to were totally =
unimpressed with our plans and the HP3000.  We showed them a thing or =
two.  We got it working AND we had to put in a fall-back capability for =
when the IBM went down, which it did at least three times more often =
than the 3000.  We stored the transaction for later transmission when =
their lousy IBM csme back up.

Let me know if you need more details.

Nick Demos      nmdemos@access,digex.net    =20