HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 20:51:26 -0700
Joe Geiser writes:
>If you're using a major ISP, then yes, the ISP can probably assign an
>address space.  We did, however, get a block of our own before we even
>started, because we knew we'd be on it someday...because we had that
>block, (which could be justified), we were ready to go.

We had our Class C since 1988, but Netcom wouldn't route it, and PSI
wanted an additional $200/month unless we used one that they assigned.
(The ISP we finally chose was cheaper than either of them and was willing
to do the extra work to get our Class C routed.)

>I guess it depends on who you go with.  All of the major ISPs will even do
>the paperwork for you.

Our ISP would have, but I wanted to do it myself so I could have the
experience (and track it myself!).

>As for DNS zone transfers throughout the
>world...

DNS isn't the problem; routing is. For example, your default gateway
points to Compuserve. When you send email to me, Compuserve has to know
that the network address 192.25.138.0 should be routed to MCI. Unless
they're willing to route that lone address, their routers won't know
where to send the packet, and you'll either get a "network unreachable"
message, or more likely, nothing.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                   |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay