HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Brian White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 17:16:43 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Gary Clarke) wrote:
>Machine: 922-200, OS: MPE/XL B.40.00
>
>Over the past few weeks we have begun to experience severe 'hangs' on
>one of our production systems.

 (Snip)

>The detail set contains 2.9 million records (cap: 3.6 mill). There are
>two search items, the first is to an automatic containing 5.0 million
>records (cap: 5.6 mill), the second is to a manual containing 8,519
>records (cap: 11411).

  (Snip)

>Thank you,
>
>Gary Clarke

Just a stab in the dark, Is the second path sorted? If so, is the sort item
near the front of the record? Has anything changed about the values being put
in the sort item (or any item after it? The second path looks to have long
chains (340 records avg per chain) and sort items might be hampering the
performance. (I wouldn't guess that 10 minutes would be the order of the delay,
though).

--

Brian J. White