HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 12:59:51 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> An NS question:
> Which is better (?) to use (and any reasons why):
>
>    *  Use NMMGR to maintain the NS directory of other hosts (NSDIR)
>
>    *  Use HOSTS.NET.SYS
>
> We are at a point where "policy" can be changed.  Our (Navy) environment
> is slowly converting to MPE/iX boxes and the "policy" will only apply
> to the iX boxes.  There are about a dozen iX systems and dozens of classic
> systems at present.

Why not take that extra step and start using DNS? MPE/iX 4.0 and later can
reference external DNS servers to resolve addresses. In any really large
organization, you're likely going to need to start using DNS sometime
anyway- and it makes linking to the 'net that much easier should the need
ever arise.

Since there's no DNS server for MPE (yet!?) you'll have to point to some
other box(es) as your servers, but DNS can make the administration of a
large network alot easier in the long run...

<flame on>
When is someone at HP gonna pick up the already-in-progress port of named
that John Sullivan started long ago? Named should be a supported tool on
every 3000 if they're gonna "co-exist" with the rest of the world; and from
what I remember, John was close to getting it working, but hit a couple
(2?) areas that would require HP to look into anyway. I've never succeeded
in getting anyone from HP to even LOOK at it...
<flame off> *sigh*

As an aside, the 'nslookup' (online query tool for dns servers) part of
named does work (John got that working) and is available on our www and
ftp servers.

  Chris Bartram        Sales (US):   800 Net-Mail    Fax:+1 703 451-3720
   ______                         +1 703 569-9189 E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
  /__ |  \__________   Sales (Europe):+44(1480)414131 Fax:+44(1480)414134
 /  / | / ________     Sales (Pacific Rim):+61 3 489 8216 (same for fax)
|  /_ |<  ______       Tech Support:+1 703 569-9189  Fax:+1 703 451-3720
 \ __)| \ ___          E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Personal(me): [log in to unmask]
  \______/Associates,  6901 Old Keene Mill Rd Suite 205 Springfield VA 22150
Gopher: gopher.3k.com   Anon-FTP: ftp.3k.com  WWW: http://www.3k.com/