HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
Joe Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 11:26:29 -0700
Slightly off of the 3000-L topic:

I have a MacIntosh friend (drenke @gnt.net) who is interested
in learning JAVA.

<<HISTORY ON>>

My Friend, Dave, is a former F15 squadron commander.
10 years ago, he was diagnosed as having ALS (Lou Gerhig's Disease).
Currently, Dave is on a respirator for life support and  is only able
to move his top lip and right eyebrow. Dave uses a program on his Mac
called KEENX(SP?) which detects movements of a switch hooked to his
eyebrow to allow him to choose keystrokes and mouse movements.
The result of this is that last month, after 8 years of silence
Dave was able to begin using Netscape and Eudora to communicate
with the world.  Many people, when they see Dave out in his wheelchair and
attached life support equipment, talk about him, not to him.  They don't
realize that ALS attacks the body, not the mind.  Dave has a $2 Million
education and flew a $30 million airplane for 12 years. He was already very
intelligent. After lying on his back and thinking for 8 years, he has
become brilliant.

<<HISTORY OFF>>

A few weeks ago, after I got his Mac talking to Netscape, etc,
I began to tell Dave about JAVA, some of the discussions which have taken
place on this list, and the implications of JAVA and the Web on commerce
and communication.  Dave has a very unique perspective with which to view
electronic commerce in general and communications in specific.

Now back to my leadin statement.  Dave wants to learn JAVA development on
his Mac.  Could someone on this list recommend a good JAVA development
package which is Mac based.  Also, what about a reference text which is
CD based.  (If he reads a manual, it has to be placed on a stand over
his bed and someone has to turn the pages for him.  With KEENX, he can
turn the "pages" of a CD himself).

Thanks in advance for the bandwidth.  I know this is not 3000 related, but
there have been a lot of comments about JAVA, so I figured that someone out
there might have a good recommendation.

Joe

--

 Joe Howell, HIS COmpany                       904-678-3238
 PO Box 74                                     904-678-7378