HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 10:21:07 -0700
> > Just a small point, but unless the DBUPDATE log record format has changed
> > since I last used it, I believe that both the old and the new data are
> > contained in the data buffer.
>
> This is still true.  However, if I remember correctly, only the data
> from the first item changed to the last item changed (and everything
> in between) is logged.  Although, it seems in the back of my memory
> that there was some talk about only logging changed items.

Actually, only changed items are logged, somewhat to my surprise. The
applications for which I'm using logging use the @-list since position and
size issues are handled by an interface layer, but the only items included in
the DBUPDATE log record are the ones that have actually changed. I was pretty
impressed that they went to that much trouble. The log record does include
both the old and new values for each changed item.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                   |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay