HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
Leonard Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 08:51:17 -0400
     Jeff,

     What a great question!  We are working on the very same problem here!
     We have a spoolfile that is created on the 3000 with a 2680
     environment file that uses a font with 165 characters instead of the
     default 132 in LP.HPENV.SYS.  Spoolmate does its thing on the
     spoolfile for two recipients of this report, here in Boston.  So far,
     so good.

     Now, a new recipient has been added at a remote site.  The printer
     there is a 4si off of the network.  We have had no trouble (well, a
     lot of problems that we have solved) printing reports on that printer
     if they are 132 columns.  This report for this new recipient has been
     difficult.

     Here's what we have done so far.

     We created a new environment file using Formation.

     In the job (test version), we added an ESPUL routine:

     RUN ESPUL.PUB.RAC

     COPY CI372R01;E=FENV165.UTILITY.LIBRARY;N=CI372F01;D=LDEV900

     EXIT

     where LDEV900 is a 4si newwork printer at our location.

     The reason we change the spoolfile name is so that we have a separate
     spoolfile definition in Spoolmate.

     This seems to work.  I say "seems" because at one point in our
     development cycle, we had extra spoolfiles printing on the 4si and are
     not certain how that happened.  We made a minor change, and that
     problem went away, but there is some disagreement here among the wise
     folk whether the change mattered.  It's worked properly two
     consecutive runs in the test environment.

     Barring new ideas, we'll move the job into production and print
     remotely as well.

     Leonard Berkowitz
     Warren, Gorham & Lamont
     617-292-8349 (Boston, that E.D.T.)