HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 12:18:17 -0700
John,

  I'm not very familiar with the AIF Procedure Exits, but
an old technique that you can use is to "trap" the DBUPDATE
call with your own 'DBUPDATE' routine that would reside in
a SL/XL outside of XL.PUB.SYS.  You can then have your routine
do whatever is needed with the buffers, and then pass that
along to the real "DBUPDATE" intrinsic by calling it in your
routine.  Keep in mind that using it this way, you may have
an update logged into your 'replicate' file that never took
place if a failure occurs in between the write to your file,
and the actual system DBUPDATE call.

  If "some" time delay can be tolerated, another way to do
this is to turn on Image logging, and read the updates
from the log files.

Regards,
Michael L Gueterman
Easy Does It Technologies