HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 13:39:43 +0000
On  8 May 96 at 10:32, Dan Hollis wrote:

> >All that aside, the top contenders for MPE security add-ons are VESOFT's
> >Security/3000 (with VEAudit as a verification tool) and Monterey Software's
> >SAF/3000.  I'm admittedly a little biased towards Security/3000 after having
> >STD disclaimer: thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and do not
> >neccessarilly reflect the opinions of any current (or former) employers
>
> You know, none of these products seem to address network security. Anyone
> with an ethernet sniffer can get around these security products quite easily.
Actually, I believe Monterey Software has a product for those who
really need this.  I recall the name, but I think your users get some
type of password coder device and the log on password is always
different.  When it prompts for the password, it gives some kind of
code that the users keys into their device and the device gives back
another code that the user enters.  I have never seen this, so I have
no idea how close I am to the truth.  I'm just repeating some of the
things I have heard about the product.

Maybe Lee can address this?

> I'm still waiting for HP to implement (at the minimum) firewalling and SSL.
> Until then, we're going to have to continue propping up our HP3000's with
> Unix machines, to provide security the HP3000 lacks.
I wasn't aware that HP/UX encrypted the passwords so that they couldn't
be read with a sniffer.

Larry Boyd    <[log in to unmask]>
"Each problem solved creates the opportunity to solve the next problem
          that the last solution created." - Richard Pascale
(These opinions are my own and not those of Hewlett-Packard.)