HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
James Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 13:26:44 +1000
At Sun, 5 May 1996 20:29:28 -0700, Duane Percox wrote,
>I just finished wading through all sorts of IBM press info
>and an interesting article on interoperability using object
>technology (as in Corba). Unfortunately, missing in all this
>hoopla has been HP. While IBM is adding Corba support to *all*
>of their operating environments (including the as/400), HP still
>only plays distributed objects on HP-UX.

Interestingly, IBM's D/SOM (distributed objects) was in part the result of a
collabaritive effort with HP's own object technology (whose name escapes me
no doubt until I press the <SEND> key :).  Anyway, HP already had an
object-oriented IDL compiler and other parts, while IBM had a object library
facility and the draft form CORBA 2 was just being formulated, when HP & IBM
announced their collaboration.  Couple of years ago now.

So much for history.  If HP aren't going to provide run-time RPC support
within HP3000s as FOS, then I see little hope of Distributed Objects making
it.  Too much research required, not enough lab budget or initiative
(especially after loosing Mike B and others).

sIGH!
----
Jim "seMPEr" Wowchuk
Vanguard Computer Services     Internet:    [log in to unmask]
 _--_|\                        Compu$erve:  100036,106
/      \                       Post:        PO Box 18, North Ryde, NSW 2113
\.--.__/ <---Sydney NSW        Phone:       +61 (2) 888-9688
      v      Australia         Fax:         +61 (2) 888-3056