HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 13:58:50 CDT

> Hi everybody
[snip]
> - HP-UX 10.0 was released about one year ago. Allbase/SQL is still
>   not available for it.

I believe it is now documented that HP is commited to the port to 10.x
and there is a date for product availability (if I recall correctly).

[snip]
> So, what's the future of Allbase/SQL ? Could it disappear slowly ?
> Any comments (from HP and HP users) would be appreciated.
>
> Roman

I see Allbase asone possible migration strategy for moving from MPE to HPUX,
if this becomes necessary.  Moverover, Allbase's greater flexibility (on-line
configuration, etc.), compared to image/sql, provides benefits that we can
use, once we get going with it.  However, the startup costs of learning RDBMS
thinking and Allbase's commands, limitations, and features is keeping us
away, so far. If HP would rename it OpenBase and put in under the OpenView
architecture, then we could feel safer that it could survive. Of course,
I'd rather HP did this with Image/sql and Allbase together.

--
-- - - - Speaking for myself and not necessarily anybody else - - - - - -
Richard Gambrell        | Internet: [log in to unmask]