HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 1996 14:53:59 GMT
Hello Friends,

Chris Bartram ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

{cut/snip}

: Since there's no DNS server for MPE (yet!?) you'll have to point to some
: other box(es) as your servers, but DNS can make the administration of a
: large network alot easier in the long run...

: <flame on>
: When is someone at HP gonna pick up the already-in-progress port of named
: that John Sullivan started long ago? Named should be a supported tool on
: every 3000 if they're gonna "co-exist" with the rest of the world; and from
: what I remember, John was close to getting it working, but hit a couple
: (2?) areas that would require HP to look into anyway. I've never succeeded
: in getting anyone from HP to even LOOK at it...
: <flame off> *sigh*

: As an aside, the 'nslookup' (online query tool for dns servers) part of
: named does work (John got that working) and is available on our www and
: ftp servers.

{cut/snip}

I am not aware of any current project in HP to put a DNS Server on the
3000.  If this is a high want/need I would suggest your approaching this
with HP from (2) directions....

  1. Each customer who wants this functionality should contact the
     Response Center and request a *new* SR be submitted on their
     behalf requesting this functionality.

  2. At the next HP3000 Users conference, identify this request as a
     high want and get it on the top 10 list...  Much like was accomplished
     with TELNET INETD & NETWORK PRINTING.

OH, BTW a version of 'nslookup' is being sent out with the current beta
test patch NSSED78 for 5.0, it can be found in the group NSRV0000.TELESUP
NSLOOKUP (prog) & NSLOOKS (source) thanks to Eero...

Regards,

James Hofmeister
Hewlett Packard
Worldwide Technology Network Expert Center
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.