HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 May 1996 17:01:17 -0400
Gentle listers.

I will answer several questions about HP World conference with this message.

LACK OF HP 3000 MATERIAL.  I think not.  There is as much HP 3000 content as
the prior years, we have, however, expanded in other areas.  There are
numerous Windows NT presentations, as well as HP-UX, Internet-related stuff,
client-server stuff, and lots of other things. BTW, to make room for more
talks, we have expanded the hours of the conference.  The talks run from 8:00
AM to 6:PM.  If this is too long for you, you are going to the wrong event,
this is a technical conference, not a pleasure cruise.

The regular HP 3000 presenters are out in force this year, as well as several
new presenters.  If you are an HP 3000 shop, this is THE conference to attend
as it will show you how to use your HP 3000 in new areas, it will show you
how to best manage your HP 3000 with the latest MPE/iX, and you will hear
what the future holds from HP s point of view.  I put together the Database
Technology track, and I can tell you it is overwhelmingly HP 3000-centric,
mainly because HP 9000 shops do not use databases.  Look at page 39-43 of the
call for paper and then come and tell me there is no HP 3000 content.  Also
look at pages 31-33, 36-38, 46-47 and 53.  The call for registration only
lists part of the events, it has to be balanced and show HP-UX and PC content
also.

During my tenure as editor of The SIGIMAGE Newsletter, I listed all the
IMAGE-related events and talks in the issue prior to the conference.  It is
hoped that will be done again this year.  I do not remember if it was done
last year.

If you can t find HP 3000 material, you are working very hard to avoid it.

THE SOCIAL EVENTS.  The Toronto mixer was an aberration.  Let me explain, not
excuse.  HP sponsors the opening social.  HP Canada sponsored and prepared
the one in Toronto.  The DJ they got was not given directions as to what the
even was about.  He tried to get people to dance and stuff and had loud
music.  I, along with several other Interex folks, tried to get him to tone
it down so that people could talk without shouting and not be pressured into
dancing.  It took time to get the message across to the DJ that what was
needed was background or atmosphere music, going through the right channels
and all.  When we finally did, it was a bit late.  This also addresses the
money issue for that social, HP generously sponsors the event.

We only have one Interex (users) funded event,  on Wednesday Night.  After
all, this is a technical conference, not a social club.  If you want more
parties and social events, you will have to go elsewhere.

THE KEYNOTE SPEAKERS.  The first keynote for HP World, is Scott Adams during
the opening mixer.  We have kept the keynotes to a precious few that would
really interest HP users: Lew Platt and Rick Belluzzo.  Note the schedule,
they start talking at 8:00AM!  At 9:00AM, the vendor show opens and the first
sessions start at 10:00AM.  The rest of the week, the sessions start at
8:00AM.  On Friday, we have another keynote albeit non-HP, Cherryl Currid who
kicks off the Client Server roundtable.

We have several plenary speakers who are HP division heads: Dr. Harry
Sterling, CSY;  Carol Mills, GSY; Mark Canepa, WSO; Olivier Helleboid, SMDO;
Duane Zitzner, Personal Information Products Group; Lane Nonnenberg, WCSO and
Dick Watts, CSO.

The Management Symposium has Joel Birnbaum as opening keynote address.  Dr.
Jim Wetherbe is the featured speaker for the management symposium and yes, he
brings in the folks for that special event.

So, except for Jim Wetherbe (who makes the Management Symposium conference),
Scott Adams and Cherryl Currid (both of whom are not expensive), all the
keynotes and plenaries are HP folks who graciously donate their time.  In
other words, they cost Interex and you nothing.

Finally, the name of the event.  Those of you who have received the Call For
Registration have surely noted the name of the event, following the caption
'Interex presents'.  In answer to a post about people chucking the CFR
because they can't read, I would point out that anyone using an HP computer,
be it a 1000, 3000, 9000 or server is going to look at this one twice and
will see the name Interex right there on the cover.  If you flip the booklet
over, you see the Interex logo and addresses.  What more is required for HP
3000 users, pray tell?

Kind regards,

Denys. . .