HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 1996 15:28:11 EDT
On Fri, 10 May 1996 20:56:26 GMT mark landin said:
>So, NETTIME (or nettime, since it's in the POSIX domain...) queries a
>public time server, and comes back with a time like 19:52. It also reports
>my local system time as 19:54. Well, actually it's only 14:54, but I
>figure that 5 hour difference is our time zone.

>I have the TZ environment variable set to CST5CDT. I also tried CST5,
>but nettime insists on 19:52, and SHOWCLOCK always says its making an
>18,000 second adjustment.

I presume you are setting TZ in the MPE domain, and/or you aren't setting
TZ properly in the shell.  If you invoke NETTIME from MPE and no TZ variable
is set, it defaults to EST5EDT.  If you have TZ set it should (?) honor it.
If you invoke NETTIME from the shell, be aware of this:

* the shell does not acknowledge the MPE TZ variable, but instead does an
  explicit 'export TZ="GMT0"' so unless you modified this yourself, you
  will be in the GMT0 timezone in the shell.

* I *think* you have to set it with 'export' not 'set' but I could be
  wrong (I don't understand the details other than I was taught to set
  session-wide variables with 'export', some more Unix-literates can
  clarify that I'm sure).

>PS: Brian, if by some chance to ever read this, including a README or
>INSTALL file would be very helpful. A lot of MPE folks have no idea
>what to do with a Makefile, or running the compiler, etc.

Actually just including the compiled object code would suffice.  I had
this same problem and, if I recall correctly, re-enter the makefile with
vi and on the make definition line be sure to *tab* over and not just
space over.  The 5.0 MKS make seems to insist on tabs (or so I surmised;
I added an entry to a makefile which failed similarly until I deleted the
ruleset line and re-entered it using the tab.  Quite confusing for us MPE
folks who were brought up to never use that tab key in a character-based
editor!

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>