HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 10:42:58 -0700
Gavin writes:
> I believe that the Metrowerks [Java] product currently does support
> 68K Macs (in addition to PowerPC based systems).

Yes, it does, and they also have ALL their documentation on CD-ROM. I haven't
seen their Java product yet, but it should be coming any day now. I can
recommend the Metrowerks product, based on my two years' experience with their
Mac development environment that hosts the Java compiler. Their products are
solid, their documentation is excellent, and their tech support is very
responsive. In addition, if you go for their full product, you get Object
Pascal and C++ as well as Java, and you get 68K, PowerPC, Be, Magic Cap and
WinTel targets; it wouldn't surprise me if they had MPE, VMS and AS/400
targets in the works :-). They include their own PowerPlant class library (Mac
only) as well as Apple's MacApp and Microsoft's MFC, together with all
relevant Apple and Microsoft documentation. The full product is $399, comes on
two CDs and includes two updates. In short, if Dave wants to do some
exploration, this is an excellent choice.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                   |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay