HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 1996 11:51:23 EDT
On Sat, 11 May 1996 01:07:27 CDT Richard Gambrell said:
>> But I do want to hear from those who prefer MPE over Unix
>> and have used (or administered) both enough to compare
>> them.

>FWIW, I much prefer MPE over Unix, even though I learned Unix first
>(maybe it was because I learned MCP before Unix - I still miss CANDE's
>built in editor from time to time).

I have limited experience actively managing Unix, but have dealt with Suns
over the last 5-6 years in varying capacities from user to tracking down
networking issues and security exposures.  I've certainly seen them go up
and down, and have seen them hacked.  But aside from that I am unfamiliar
with the internals.  I started with IBM DOS, then DOS/VS, OS/MVT, HP2000,
and HP3000 (19 years), with some VM, CMS, and MVS thrown in somewhere.
MPE is the most elegant, efficient, and stable of the lot.  Others have
made good points in other replies, but one aspect didn't get mentioned.

IBM MVS (and to some extent VM) has 'file equations' in the form of the
relatively cryptic MVS //filename DD [options] construct.  Even a greater
iprovement, MPE has the :FILE statement.  Above and beyond that, a truly
impressive file system beneath that :file statement, seamlessly integrated
into every level of the operating system and supplied subsystems.  Think
about that during your next fschk, chkdsk, scandisk, or desktop rebuild.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>