HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

From:
Thomas Harmon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Harmon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 10:11:45 -0700
<Elbert E Silbaugh> wrote:

> Sounds like a master, also I am assuming you don't want to
> redesign any DB structure, so, one (not so elegant) solution is to:
>
> (1) DBLOCK the DS
> (2) DBPUT the record with the known master key
> (3) DBUNLOCK
> (4) DBLOCK the record only
> (5) Do think time, enter remaining data on screen
> (6) DBUPDATE
> (7) DBUNLOCK
>
> Not gonna work if you don't know the Key value (up front), or other
> programs would burp if they read this incomplete record.
>
> If you can change the master DS to a detail without much hassle, then
> you would not have this (locking) problem.
>
> Elbert

This is the procedure that we are using now for adding master entries. We still have the
problem of "sneaking" that (1) DBLOCK the DS in when the dataset is already locked with
a mode 5/6 for a particular entry.

--
Thomas A Harmon                  (715) 833-5513
Systems Analyst                  mailto:[log in to unmask]