HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

From:
Sam DeLeese <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam DeLeese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 16:30:51 GMT
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Apr 30,  8:34pm, Gill Currie wrote:
>> Subject: Compiling Powerhouse code
>> Back in the distant past, I recall a product which created executable
>> program files from Powerhouse source code - these could then be executed
>> independently of the Powerhouse toolset.
>>
>> Does anyone out there know more? I'd be grateful for any more details of
>> how to get hold of such a tool.

It was called PDQ and was sold by Tymlabs.  It was only for QUIZ code,
it did not work for QTP or QUICK.  We used it for all of our QUIZ
reports as the PDQ compiled code was faster than the QUIZ compiled
code.  When we upgraded PowerHouse to 7.09, we also had to convert our
QDDR dictionary format to PDL.  PDQ did not support PDL dictionaries.
To complicate matters further, about this time was when Unison bought
Tymlabs.  Unison had no plans to modify PDQ to support PDL and so we
compiled all of our QUIZ code in QUIZ.  Which in the end did not turn
out badly since 7.09 compiled code seems to be just as fast as PDQ was
for earlier versions of QUIZ.  The real downside was that to run PDQ
QUIZ, the RUN command was used.  So we had to replace all run commands
that were for PDQ programs with the QUIZ udc.  I giant clerical task.
Hope this bit of history helps.

Sam DeLeese

Alan Keyes for President in '96

Check out the Alan Keyes web page at http://sandh.com/keyes/index.html

When talking about Ambassador Keyes there are two types of people...
Those who support him and those who haven't heard him yet!

These are my views and do not in any way reflect the views of UCLA
or the UC system or any of its entities.