HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 19:11:49 +0000
On  1 May 96 at 12:56, Don Harrington wrote:

> Lets try this again.  I've received many good responses to my problem, but
> I think something got lost in the transmission :-)
>
> I have a dataset (HP3000, MPE/iX 5.0, TurboIMAGE) that contains (among
> other things) two fields which are logically associated with each other.
> One is an 8X4 array of CRAFT codes; the other is an 8I2 array of HOURS.
> I need to find the CRAFT code that goes with the largest HOURS value.
> How can I do that?

Well, Don, I'm not sure you'll like my answer, but I think one way to
do this is to use a dual QUIZ process.  The first process writes the
records in ascending sorted HOURS order to a subfile.  The
second reads the subfile LIMIT 1 and writes the report.  It's not a
fast approach, but should work.  (PS. not to plug any products, but
can't SUPRTOOL from Robelle do this in one pass, quickly?  Mike? )

Larry Boyd
(These are my opinions and not those of my employer, HP)