HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

From:
"Peter W. Gofton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter W. Gofton
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 11:17:50 -0800
-- [ From: Peter W. Gofton * EMC.Ver #2.5.03 ] --

Dave Anderson asks:
> I have 3 HP3000s connected together with a thin lan cable.  This goes from
> computer to DTC to computer to DTC, etc. Dsline, dscopy, etc, all is well.
> save money we bought a thin lan to twisted pair converter and plugged it
into
> our 3COM hub.  I have a HP9000 in another state and they want to logon to
the
> 3000 probably using  TELNET.  We are getting Connection refused.  We can
> exchange files with FTP no problem but no interactive access.  What would
> need to do or where do I need to look to make this happen??

It looks as if you are trying to make a TELNET connection to an HP3000 that
does not support inbound TELNET.  By default, HP3000s use NS/VT instead.
You have 3 choices: 1. install inbound telnet on the HP3000 (expensive); 2.
wait for MPE/ix 5.5 which supposedly will have inbound telnet; 3. use NS/VT
on the HP9000 to connect to the 3000.  You may already have this, in the
form of HP's VT3K product.  You can also get it as part of our HP terminal
emulation package for the HP9000 (see our Web site).

--
Peter Gofton, Software Licensing Corp
HP connectivity solutions.
Visit our new web site at www.slcorp.com