HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 11:00:23 -0600
Early this morning I sent the following:

>At 09:56 AM 4/30/96 -0700, Thomas Harmon wrote:
>>Is there any way to get around Images requirement of have the whole dataset
>>locked when doing a DBPUT or DBDELETE? Our locking strategy is to only lock
>>those particular entries that are capable of being changed which is easy with
>>a MODE=6 and a lock list. Our problem is if any user has some entries locked
>>for change mode, no other users can lock the whole dataset in order to do an
>>add or delete. Surely there must be a solution other than not having entries
>>locked during "think" time?
>
>IMAGE's locking facility provides a 'logical' lock to a database in order to
>protect the logical integrity of the shared data.  There is no requirement
>that one 'logically lock' an entire dataset to perform a DBPUT or DBDELETE.

/snip

I obviously missed part of Tom's post in that the issue involved was a master
dataset all the while I was thinking detail.  Yep, IMAGE requires a
dataset/database level lock if doing a PUT/DELETE to a master....

Although what I described may be interesting to some, it doesn't really
apply to Tom's problem.  Sorry for the bandwidth... :(

-- Jerry

Democrary is a process by which the people are
free to choose the person who will get the blame.
                       -- Lawrence J. Peter