HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 1996 18:32:00 -0400
Peter writes:

>We are using the NCSA WWW server on the HP3000 and experience problems whem
>using Netscape to access it. Very often small gifs are displayed as trashed.
>Sometimes it will not show a html file saying that network error have been
>found.
>It does only happen with files that are already cashed by Netscape. It never
>happens when I connect to a non HP3000 server.
>When caching is off, the problem never occurs.
>Mosaic does not have these problems.
>The PC and HP3000 are on the same LAN. I also noticed this problem when I
>access the Internet through a dial up connection, using a 28k8 modem. When I
>use a 14k4 modem, the problem does not occur.
>I have heared of one HP3000 site that reports the same problems.
>Does anyone else have these problems ? Is there someone who knows what to do
>about it?
>What abou an alternative server like the Open Market/iX server ? Is this
>server available ? Is it free or can I order it ?
>
>Peter van Boheemen

I have had the same problems with Netscape 1.0 and 1.1.  When I installed
Netscape 2.0 the problem disappeared.  I was told that the problem early
versions of Netscape had with LAN access were related to collisons and high
LAN traffic.  I cannot comment on the accuracy of that assessment as I don't
have the test equipment necessary to monitor the LAN.  In January the Navy
project using the freeware NCSA server moved from a facility where we had
fairly light LAN traffic and had only a hub between the PCs and the 937.
Now we go through three routers and four LAN segments to reach the 937.
Before the move we rarely saw the problems you mentioned, but they did show
up from time-to-time. After the move we saw the problems very frequently.
Since putting up Netscape 2.0, the problems have almost completely gone
away, but some pages paint much slower than before.

John
John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.