HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 5

From:
Stephen Sun <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Sun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 18:35:21 -0700
>Hi Stan,
>
>re:
>> We are working on a CD recordable product (Model 2721) for MPE systems as=
>> permanent archive/backup device.  Any suggestions, requirements,
>
>The main problem I see is that a 650 MB drive is too small.

For those who need to archive small amount of data, (such as tax, medical
records, quarterly reports, annual reports, =85.) 650 MB may be sufficient.
Currently, most of the WORM drives are in that capacity range.

>How about:
>
>   1) a product that combines a CD-R drive and a 650 (720?) MB hard drive
>      (AV-rated?) in a box, and

The current design already incorporates a 1 GB hard drive with the CD-R
drive.  Thus any ISO standard CD=92s can easily be duplicated. =20

>   2) software that can backup a selected disk drive (any disk drive on
>      the system) in chunks of 650 MB.  Thus, for a disk drive with less=
 than
>      651 MB, a single CD backs it up.  For a disk with 651 MB to 1300 MB,
>      after the first 650 MB, the operator puts in a fresh disk, the second
>      disk holds the next 650, and the backup is done.

This sounds like that the CD-R should work as a tape drive, which a backup
can expand to multiple disks.  This can be done, by writing to the CD-R
directly with reduced capacity (~450MB), or staging on the hard disk (up to
650MB0 before writing to CD-R (which takes about 50min).  But this does not
have the advantage of accessing data directly, which can be useful for=
 auditing.

One more side feature, the CD-R will be formatted to ISO-9660 standard.  The
MPE disk volume will appear as a huge file.  With some software to decipher
MPE file structure, files can be accessed from PC.

Bering Technology, Inc.
1357 Dell Ave.
Campbell, Ca 95008
1-800-BERING1