HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 4

From:
John Painter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Painter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:06:48 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
says...

>On Tue, 23 Apr 1996 07:20:49 -0700 Duane Percox said:
>>>David Randall wrote (concerning Routable AFCP):
>>>And Eero went on to explain that you can route if you have the right
DTC's,
>>>Routers etc. We are in a similar position, I would dearly like to
move to a
>>>RAFCP network but can't find a white paper, discussion document etc.
>
>><quote>
>>In lieu of Telnet, users can access an HP 3000 remotely over a routed
>>network, using Routable AFCP. This requires the MPE/ix 5.0 platform
release
>>or later, and two DTCs, both running DTC code 14.2 or later.
>></quote>
>>
>>My understanding is that you need OpenView DTC Manager to configure
DTCs
>>that are on segments not directly attached to your HP 3000.
>
>And therein lies the kicker -- the DTCs can only be downloaded from
their
>own segment.  I suppose two OV DTC Managers would accomplish this, but
one
>of the DTC16s can be downloaded via bootp/tftp (I think).  If so, with
5.5
>adding bootp/tftp support, it *might* be possible to accomplish the
task
>with a single OV DTC Manager station and your 3000 on 5.5.  I doubt
this
>is recommended, supported, nor documented since it makes too much
sense.

>Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

I guess my original response in this thread is still the best solution--
use a router that includes bridging functions (sometimes called a
"brouter") so that the DTC traffic can be bridged and the other packets
can be routed.  The HP Model 240 includes this function and it is quite
reasonably priced.  This avoids the use of Openview altogether.

John Painter
Computer Solutions, Inc.
http://home.navisoft.com/csi6000