HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 4

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 12:36:59 -0700
Stan writes:

> > If you had everything, where would you put it?
>
> In appropriate storage boxes, which (by definition) you have.

But then where do you put the storage boxes?

This is an amusing (thanks, Stan!) illustration of Godel's Incompleteness
Theorem, which states in essence that no formal logical system can be both
complete and internally consistent. For a proof with very interesting computer
science applications -- as well as additional amusing discussion -- see
_Godel, Escher, Bach: The Eternal Golden Braid_, by Douglas R. Hofstader. I
recommend the book highly even if you're not interested in Godel's theorem;
you can read the book half a dozen times and still find delightful bits of
self-reference that you missed the first five times you read it. Even the
title is self-referential!

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                   |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay