HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 4

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 17:18:16 CDT

> > I think the fact that telnet doesn't support block mode is mis-information.
>
> Yup. I frequently use block mode over telnet. Of course, the terminal
> emulator must support it.
> --
> Phil
> [log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]
> http://www.best.com/~pds

Warning: This is basic stuff for many of us on the Net, but not so to persons
just working out integrating LANs and HP3000s.

Emulation is the confusing part.  Many "telnet" applications use the telnet
protocol, but also do terminal emulation (usually a vt100 or ansi, not a
HP).  Actually, "telnet" is a tcp/ip communcations protocol, not an
application.  It is supported by most of the major terminal emulation
packages (like WRQ's Reflections, Minisoft's MS92 and Win92, etc.).

MPE has not used telnet, instead it used a protocol called NS/VT to handle
terminals over a LAN. However, you could get telnet connectivity from a special
card added to a DTC (a "telnet access card") *and* you will get it from the
next release of MPE/iX (5.5) as part of the fundamental package. The telnet
card in the DTC is the higher performance solution.

To use the NS/VT (legacy?) protocol, you must have special support for it
in the PC terminal emulator or network drivers. WRQ charges extra for this,
whereas Minisoft bundles it in the cost of MS92/WIN92. NS/VT is prefered
over telnet because of higher performance and lower network traffic.

At any rate, block mode required use of an HP terminal (actual or emulated),
but it can be connected over a telnet or a NS/VT circuit on the LAN, or just a
plain DTC serial line.

HTH.
Richard

--
-- - - - Speaking for myself and not necessarily anybody else - - - - - -
Richard Gambrell        | Internet: [log in to unmask]