HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 13:21:47 EDT
On Fri, 26 Apr 1996 08:21:07 -0700 you said:
>I have been perusing the very interesting FAQ and have a question.  We are
>on 5.0, have configured NETXPORT neighbor gateway, and allow our software
>provider to connect to us via the Internet.  We have not edited RSLVSAMP.NET
>or HOSTSAMP.NET.  Would we do this only if we wanted to the WORLD to access
>our 3000, or is there some other reason to configure it?

Whoa... if you're on the internet, the WORLD can already access your 3000
if they know the IP address.  HOSTS and RESLVCNF combine to give you DNS
client access, in other words, will allow you to reference "the world" by
name and not by IP number.  The only distinction you have now is that you
can't use DNS names.  These files have *nothing* to do with filtering access.
That is up to you or your service provider.  Most network services have no
selective blocking mechanism on the 3000 (some do in 5.5) so you must filter
prior to entry to your network at the router.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>