HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 4

From:
James Trudeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Trudeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 09:15:55 -0700
On Thursday, 4-25-96 I wrote:

>Like it or not (I most definitly NOT) we will be migrating
>to a UNIX environment next year.  The problem I've got
>is trying to translate 3000 horsepower to 9000 horsepower.
>
>I am aware that one way or another I can get a 3k to 9k
>conversion kit for the current box however, bearing in mind
>that Unix and Oracle require more system resources, will
>this box support the new environment?  In other words
>an HP3000 9XX is proportional to an HP9000 what?

I thought I would share the results with members of the list
who may be contemplating such a move.

Bottom line is *we need a new box*.  If the CPU were smaller
(like a 947) we might stand a chance however if we max out
this CPU to a 987/200 we would have no growth path and
can't be shure that even a 987/200 would handle the load.

Well ya do what ya gotta do.  However, we must now look
at other vendors as well as HP so who knows where we'll
end up.

The question was raised as to why we're going through all
this.  The third party vendor of our MRP II package is
going Unix and is soon dropping maintenance and support
for the Image stuff.

Thanks to all for the responses.

James Trudeau
Computer Sciences Corp.