HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 3

From:
John Painter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Painter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 13:39:32 GMT
MPE folk:

Here's my $.02 on the current threads on this list concerning networking
and Netware on the 3000.

First: Netware on the 3000, in spite of HPs protests to the contrary, is
not very effective.  For adequate response time you need a 9x7, 9x8 or
faster system with beefed up memory and disc.  Even so, the response is
nowhere near as good as a decent PC server such as an HP Netserver.
Netware on the 3000 is stuck in an earlier version 3.11 and we
have found some odd problems that show up on the the 3k version of
Netware but not on the Native netware boxes on our same network.  Unless
you have very limited use in mind, stick with a seperate PC server.

Second:  For those who just want a networked connection to the 3000 from
their PCs, Netware is not required.  You simply need a terminal
emulation product like Reflection and a TCP/IP stack (winsock).  The
stack can be a product like WRQs "3000 Connection", or it can be a third
party stack like the Microsoft Winsock.  We have found the easiest
solution to be Windows 95 with the Microsoft Stack and Reflection 1 for
Win95 with NS/VT.  For Macs, we stick with the WRQ NS Open product for
the network drivers.

John Painter
Computer Solutions, Inc.
http://home.navisoft.com/csi6000