HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 3

From:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:50:00 +0500
Sometime last week, Eric said about inbound NQtelnet....
[snip]

> --------
>
> Frederick Library on the Internet using NQtelnet.
>
>  http://sailor.lib.md.us/mdlibs/mdlibs.html
> pick Catalog:  Frederick County Public Libraries  (invokes Telnet)
>
> or a shortcut is:
> telnet> open 198.76.232.2
>
> <*** it takes a full minute to get "hostname" prompt on their firewall
-
> please wait!>

I changed and "resolved" the problem that cause the delay today.  Most
all of our users come to us from the Maryland Sailor system, so their
address was in the host table since this connection does not have DNS.

My concern about MPE/iX 5.5 inbound telnet is the fact that users will
get a "colon" prompt once they get through.  Is there some feature in
5.5 that will "minimize" the security risk.  If not, I would just prefer
to keep using NQtelnet for this application.

/alan

Alan Ambers, Mgr Hardware Design
Frederick County Government - IIS (Interagency Information Systems)