HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 3

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 07:30:43 -0600
At 03:22 PM 4/16/96 -0700, Michael R. Wanzong wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>     We are currently experiencing some system performance problems.  As
>     near as we can tell, part of the problem may be that we have 3 of 6
>     RAID drives in our proudction volume set running at 100% utilization
>     for most of the day (according to GlanceXL).  The other 3 RAID's are
>     running around 35%.

/SNIP

>     Bottom line:  I want to find out which files to move off the heavy use
>     LDEV's to spread the load.  Also, a utilty to move the files (PRIV)
>     would be handy!
>
>     Does anyone have any suggestions?  Is there anything in MPE that can
>     help?  The CSL?  A feature we are missing in Glance or Perf or Laser?

/PLUG ALERT

You may want to consider getting a demo of Disk Space Manager from Bradmark
(800/621-2808). It will analyze your file extents and placement and will
spread the files so as to help balance I/O across the disc volumes.  It was
developed by Paul Wang, former HP System Architect who also developed HP's
transaction manager (XM) technology for disc I/O.  So the product is closely
integrated with how HP manages disc storage.

If indeed the suspected files are IMAGE/SQL database files, you may also
want to consider obtaining a demo of DBGENERAL to analyze the efficiency of
the database keys/chains/etc..  It may suggest a repack/master capacity
change may also help in terms of your performance problems.

/END PLUG(S)
-- Jerry

Democrary is a process by which the people are
free to choose the person who will get the blame.
                       -- Lawrence J. Peter