HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 3

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 12:21:42 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> > I must soon convert my serial connections from PC s to a Series 937SX
> > to a PC network.  I am concerned about degradation of HP3000
> > performance if I attempt to convert it to a network server using
> > Netware/ix, and I am not quite sure what the cons are to networking
> > an Intel server with the Series 937SX.  The PC Lan (Departmental)
> > will be connected to an agency wide area network.  Netware/ix vs.
> > Intel Server?
>
> If your only concern is to allow access to the HP3000 through the
> network, then you do not need to run Netware/iX.  However, the HP
> and all PCs needing HP access through the network must be
> communicating via TCP/IP.  In addition, on each PC you will need an
> HP3000 terminal emulation package that handle network connectivity.
> The two choices come from Reflection (~$450 for Reflection and
> Connection 3000 combined) and Minisoft ($150 for Minisoft 92).  We
> use WRQ but will be migrating to Minisoft because of the exhorbitant
> cost of the WRQ products (so far, testing of Minisoft has been
> trouble-free).

Minor note; when we (just) checked, R1/Win was about $360 per copy and
3000 Connection about $300- for a combined cost of about $660 per box,
with some discounts for larger quantities. It's not hard to see why so
many people think MS92 is looking pretty good.

There are still alot of things R1 does that MS92 doesn't (and our experience
with 3000 connection has shown especially in dialup slip/ppp configs it can't
be beat) but with THAT magnitude of a cost difference, it's really hard to
justify R1 over MS92. If you're users are just doing straight terminal
emulation and occasional file-transfers, it's REAL TOUGH to justify that kind
of additional cost. Once 3000's support inbound telnet, you won't need the
extra $300 3000/connection piece which brings the cost closer, but I really
hope the folks at WRQ wake up and realize they're pricing themselves out of
a still growing market...

              -Chris Bartram