HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 3

From:
Lance Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lance Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 18:16:16 GMT
Looking for infornation on portable netware (i.e. Netware running on
NON-INTEL CPUs).  Specifically, my employer is contemplating running
Netware 3.x on an HP 3000 mini-computer.

I question whether this is a good idea.  The trade off is one of ease of
adminstration vs. flexibility.

Netware/ix on the HP3000 means ONE BOX, with support from a single source.
However Netware/ix as designed for the HP3000 means NO NLMs.  AT the
moment we are a SCO Unix / Mac / DOS shop and have no Netware experience.
I'm not sure how critical the lack of NLMs is, but from reading both
reviews and product info it seems that NLMs can add alot of versatility
such as anti-viral and fax capabilities.  We want to be able to fax from
our HP3000 as well as from our Netware/ix Windows and Mac clients.

With those goals in mind I'm looking for advice on the trade off of the
greater flexibility of Native Netware (i.e. Netware on Intel) vs. the
added burden of having:
         1) a second box to run the Netware
         2) the added administrative burden
         3) the possible finger poining between multiple vendors if we have
            difficulty (The VAR selling us the HP3000 is Netware certified ONLY
            on the HP3000, not for Netware on Intel)

I also need to know if network nodes doing communication and fax services
will work with Portable Netware.  And if they'll work in that environment,
I need to know how well they'll work.

Expert advice please!

Lance Hamilton
(415) 873-0444 Voice