HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 3

From:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 17:31:55 +0000
On 19 Apr 96 at 15:09, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I've often wondered why HP has such a lock on peripheral devices for the HP3000
> - the lack of competition only serves to keep the prices artificially high, such
> as $48,000 for an 8 GB disk array with proprietary interface, non-redundant
> power, cooling, etc.  The new HASS devices bring down the price per GB
> significantly, but when you add the cost of Mirror/iX, PowerTrust UPS (required
> if you want your data protected in the event of a power failure and subsequent
> UPS drain - a non-PowerTrust UPS won't provide this), it's still nearly
> unreasonable, IMHO.

HP had EMC as a competitor years ago (remember the EAGLE and the FALCON?)  I
think, at that time, most people wanted to pay more so that they would have an
HP supported drive.  Today things may be different?

Larry Boyd    <[log in to unmask]>
"Each problem solved creates the opportunity to solve the next problem
          that the last solution created." - Richard Pascale
(These opinions are my own and not those of Hewlett-Packard.)