HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:10:26 -0700
Jon writes:
> Leslie Klein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >Is there a diagnostic utility under MPE/iX ver.5.0 or later which would
> >allow the sparing of tracks(or reasigning blocks) for an HP-C3725S
> >Surestore 2.14GB OEM disk drive???
> I'm afraid that this is a semi-classic case of trying to use generic,
> non-HP3000 peripherals on HP3000s.  HP and our customers expect a higher
> level of functionality from our peripherals (e.g. powerfail recovery,
> sparing, etc.), and often that higher level of functionality requires
> firmware support in the peripheral itself.

That sounds good, except for one little item: the drives in questoin
are HP drives.  As a stockholder, employee-spouse, and customer,
I would firmly expect that any problems found in the firmware of an
HP manufactured drive should *never* be fixed in an "HP 3000 version" of
a drive ...  but in *EVERY* version of the drive.

Remember, the myth of "business vs. technical" computers (with differing
usage patterns) was disproved years ago...in HP, it was during the 1000 vs
3000 era.  If a drive has a problem on a 3000, it WILL have the SAME problem
on a 9000, a PC, a Mac, a Sun, etc.

Saying that a non-HP3000 doesn't need powerfail recovery, or sparing
capabilities, or whatever, is like an automobile manufacturer saying:
oh, we only sell seatbelts on our top-of-the-line cars, the race cars
and dump trucks don't need seatbelts.   And it's equally wrong.

Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html