HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 2

From:
Gilles Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gilles Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 19:58:14 -0400
>John Hallis <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>

>>We are looking at purchasing Oracle Financials (A/P, G/L, A/r, Fixed
>>Assets) as well as Oracle Purchasing and Human Resources.
>>
>>We would like to continue to run our Hp3000 Series 987/1 using these
>>applications, and would appreciate any feedback on how it worked with
>>your companies?

CarlWKemp replied:

>Please, try to AVOID doing this. We tried this "solution" at L.A. Gear in
>1990. We wound up exchanging lawsuits with Oracle for the next three years
>before we finally got a system that "worked" (and I use that word VERY
>loosely). This PIG completely pegged a 980 for nine hours straight with a
>whopping 11 users and no other applications running at the same time. It
>crashed at the drop of a hat and ate everything it could find (CPU,
>memory, disk, you name it) during those times when it wasn't busy
>crashing. I became the DBA and was handed this behemoth after the lawsuits
>finally died down. I have never seen a database that performed so
>incredibly badly (yes, that includes Dbase and Rbase, too).
>
>By the way, we also had some 15,000 datasets on our other HP3000's, each
>of which supported between 100 and 350 simultaneous users, with nary a
>complaint on any of them.

Lots has changed since 1990 - especially ORACLE on the HP3000.

From my understanding ORACLE Version 7 - per se - runs quite nicely on
HP3000 MPE/iX 5.0, neither versions (of ORACLE or MPE/iX) which were
available in 1990.

So - notwithstanding all the various lawsuits flying around - this latest
warning MAY be dated.

   Gilles Schipper                    Voice:      905/889-3000
   GSA Inc.                           Fax:        905/889-3001
   300 John Street, Box 87651         Internet:   [log in to unmask]
   Thornhill, ON  Canada  L3T 7R4     Compuserve: 71203,474