HP3000-L Archives

April 1996, Week 1

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 13:40:31 -0700
Niel Armstrong writes:

> I am trying to FTP file from MPE to MPE from another location
> halfway around the world. I consistently get the error:
>
> SOCKET TIMEOUT
>
> Trying to find what parameter to change in the myriad of
> NMMGR screens. I have looked to see if the number of
> HOPS is set correctly and I have increased the value
> of Retransmission Timeout in:
>
>   @NETXPORT.NI.niname.PROTOCOL.ARP

That changes the timeout for Address Resolution Protocol, which is unlikely to
be the problem. You need to change the TCP timeout parameters; the path is
@NETXPORT.GPROT.TCP. Try increasing the number of retransmissions per packet
rather than changing the timeout itself; you should get better performance
that way if the link is only moderately unreliable. You might also _reduce_
the retransmission interval lower bound to 2 secs. This value gets doubled on
every retransmission, so reducing it will increase the number of retries.

The SOCKET TIMEOUT comes from FTP rather than from TCP. As far as I know,
there's now way to get FTP to increase its timeout, so you have to get the
protocol to try harder in the time allowed.

Good luck! If that fails, try going the other way 'round.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                   |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay