HP3000-L Archives

March 1996, Week 4

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 16:49:25 -0800
On March 21, 1996, at IPROF (Interex Programmers' Forum) I announced three
things:

        1) An Adager technology called ADBC.

        2) A methodology for the implementation of ADBC.

        3) A prize for the best implementation of ADBC.

I also announced that ADBC will be made available to anyone without charge
(to promote its wide acceptance in TurboIMAGE-based applications) but will
be licensed (to maintain the ADBC standards consistent).

The full source code for the ADBC system will be available on Adager's Web
site for anyone to download from anywhere in the world on a read-only mode.
Anyone is welcome to improve upon the performance of the ADBC system and
to submit such improvements to Adager to be considered for standardization.

Background
----------

In my my 1992 paper, "Object-Oriented Methodology: The Adager Instance", I said
(just as HP announced the availability of the full read-write SQL interface
for IMAGE),

        You can now use IMAGE as a standard database server in a
        client/server environment, even if the environment is severely
        limited to "speaking" only one language -- SQL.  Naturally, if
        you want to enjoy the full legendary speed of IMAGE, you can
        always communicate with it via its intrinsics.  Thanks to HP's
        efforts, you now have the best of both worlds:

          1) "Proprietary" speed and performance, which you achieve by
             using the operating-system intrinsics -- procedures -- that
             come with IMAGE. (Elite atleticism.)

          2) "Standard" interface with client processes, which you achieve
             by using the relational SQL statements that everybody
             understands. (Flabby, out-of-shape masses.)

Now, four years later
---------------------

I can say with confidence that Java provides a solid foundation upon which
we can build reliable (and increasingly fast) "data pipes" between a
Java-enabled client device (such as a Mac, a PC, a Unix workstation, a
toaster, a wristwatch,...) and an IMAGE database on an HP3000.

Even Microsoft turned on a dime (first by licensing Java and then by
announcing its ActiveX technology).  This is just another example of the
fundamental importance of IP-enabled protocols (which are the glue that
everyone can use to unify disparate designs and platforms).

The Java programming language, it turns out, is a very important part of
this IP-enabled picture.  It's not the only one, but it was certainly the
first to offer a VEY GOOD foundation that we can use to build an excellent
front-end system and user interface for high-performance applications based
on IMAGE databases.

ADBC (the Adager technology)
----

"ADBC" is analogous to ODBC but is unique to IMAGE.  Specifically, ADBC
takes advantage of the IMAGE intrinsics and caters to elite,
high-performance, "athletic" applications.

ADBC does NOT use ODBC at all: ADBC deals, as directly as possible, with
the IMAGE intrinsics (dbget, dbput, dbdelete, dbupdate, etc.)  This is,
indeed, the key to ADBC's high performance.

Java (the methodology for the impementation of ADBC)
----

ADBC is a collection of Java classes whose function is to provide the
shortest possible access path between a client application on any device
(that supports Java) and IMAGE databases (on HP3000 computers).

The Java classes within ADBC use IP-enabled protocols to communicate
between the client and the HP3000 computers where the IMAGE databases
reside.  This requirement guarantees that ANY IMAGE database in the world
is accessible to any client (as long as security and authentication
protocols are met, of course).

The rules of the ADBC contest
-----------------------------

Anybody is welcome to submit a Java implementation of ADBC.  Please contact
me directly to discuss the most convenient way to communicate.

The Adager prize
----------------

I'll publish a four-color human-interest (and technical-interest) story
featuring the author of the best implementation of ADBC (on the back cover
of Interact Magazine, where Adager ads have appeared for many years).

I'm sure Interex will provide many extra copies of the Magazine to the
lucky winner, to be casually left on coffee tables and to be shared with
friends, relatives, prospective employers, and so on.

Specific details:
----------------

As questions arise about ADBC (the technology) and its "bureaucracy" (which
I'll keep to a minimum), I'll work out the specific details and I'll
publish them on HP3000-L and on Adager's Web site.

|            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego               Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, Theoretical Group    Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.