HP3000-L Archives

March 1996, Week 3

From:
Allen Heap <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Heap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 07:50:59 GMT

> HP2392A's on 955 - incompatible?
>
> "Philip E. Test" <[log in to unmask]>
> 13 Mar 1996 17:34:16 GMT
> MCS Santa Clara i.s. (MAST)
>
> Newsgroups:
> comp.sys.hp.mpe
>
> Having finally migrated our last series 70 to 955, we (re-?)

discovered
> what appears to be some incompatibility with older HP terminals

(2392A's).

Yes, I know the problem well.  We here at Baltimore County Gov't have an

HP3000 series 948 supporting over a hundred terminals.  It is a mix of

2392A's, 700/92's and PC's using Advancelink.  The HP2392A terminals

were originally designed to use Enq/Acq protocol (on the Classic

architecture).  When HP introduced the RISC architecture, they

eliminated Enq/Acq as the terminal protocol and replaced it with

XON/XOFF.  The default for the HP2392A's is RecvPace: None and

XmitPaced: None.  Here is what you do to make them work:
1.  Press the User-System key to get the configuration softkeys

displayed on your screen.
2.  Press the F8 key (config keys).
3.  Press the F3 key (datacomm config).
4.  Tab the cursor down to the RecvPace box and press next choice until

Xon/Xoff is displayed.
5.  Tab over to the XmitPace box and change it as above to Xon/Xoff.
6.  Press Save Config.

It doesn't seem to matter what setting you have for Enq/Ack, the

terminal can now handle block mode with buffer overruns.  Also make sure

that your batteries in the terminal (two size "N") are replaced when

they lose configuration settings.

Allen Heap
Baltimore County Local Government