HP3000-L Archives

March 1996, Week 3

From:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 07:31:52 +0000
Andrew Sigmund <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>         In the HP 3000 FAQ on 3K's web site, I noticed several references to
> the MPE/iX 5.0 "push" release, and one reference to a "pull" release.  Could
> someone enlighten me as to what these terms (push/pull) mean when refering
> to software releases?

The "pull" release is an early release that is available to the
public, and supported (not beta), by request.  If you need a feature
available, a patch, or just want to try out the new O/S, you can
contact the RC and request the "pull" release.  Generally, there may
be a couple of features that were not completed yet for the "pull".

The "push" release is the completed version for features.  The
shipping division (SRDO) will provide the "push" release to *every*
customer on support for that O/S.  This means that within the "push"
date, everyone on 3000 support should receive their new update within
3 or so months.

Hope this helps.

Larry Boyd    <[log in to unmask]>
"Each problem solved creates the opportunity to solve the next problem
          that the last solution created." - Richard Pascale
(These opinions are my own and not those of Hewlett-Packard.)