HP3000-L Archives

March 1996, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 15:30:17 EST
On Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:17:05 -0800 Duane Percox said:
>Thanks for the quick report! Do you know anything about how they made if
>faster? Anything architecturally that you can figure out? Or is it just
>leaner, cleaner, and meaner code?

HP was generous enough to let me leak a little info, but they weren't to
bold as to provide me with source code :-)

The primary improvement is that you can assign a "pool" of server processes
which are sitting ready to go.  It doesn't appear to fork on each request
like NCSA 1.3.  I don't know the specifics other than assuming it is similar
to the Un*x OpenMarket server (you can read tech specs on it at their web
page).

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>