HP3000-L Archives

March 1996, Week 1

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 06:42:22 -0700
At 04:36 PM 3/5/96 PST, Susie Rolland wrote:
>We are going to move users and data from an old machine running 4.0 to a new
>machine running 5.0.  Moving them over should be no problem, but if we had
>to move them back to 4.0 after running on 5.0 (image and opendesk)  for a
>day or so, would there be any backward compatibility problems?  Are there
>any forward compatibility problems?  Thanks.

The only case where you would experience problems with IMAGE is if you took
advantage of the new features which come with 5.0 release.  This includes
Dynamic Detail Dataset Expansion, High-Water Mark DBPUT, jumbo datasets and
registering indexes (both IMAGE keys and TPI indexes) with ISQL to name a
few of the new features.  If you do not make any changes to take advantage
of these new features then you should be able to port the database back to 4.0.

-- Jerry