HP3000-L Archives

March 1996, Week 1

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 22:19:33 CST
Jeff Kell wrote:
[snip earlier remarks]
> Welcome to the club :-)  But I must admit I'm still a bit confused over just
> what information would be "lost" if you hadn't stored the user volume dirs.
> You can restore with the ";CREATE" option and it will happily build the
> directories.  You have your system volset copies, and from my understanding,
> most of the crucial information (group security, etc) are kept there anyway.
> I think the only user volset directory attribute is the files= limit.  The
> other things come from the system directory (others may feel free to correct
> me if I'm wrong) so it isn't *that* big a deal.  But I also seem to recall
> if you restore @[log in to unmask]@, it may not create those directories if they don't
> exist, and instead place the files on the system volset (my memory is foggy,
> but we got bit once by something along these lines).  If you do a :restore
> with the VOLSET= combined with ;CREATE it does create directory entries, but
> in this case you must customize the restore to only include files that belong
> on this volset.  Yes indeed, that does seem to ring a bell now.
>
> Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

We store buldacct job files with each full backup, so that we can
be sure to recreate the same directory, then purge these job file before
the backup job is over so they don't pose a security risk. We haven't had
to actually use one in a recovery situation - and that is an experience
I can afford to miss - but these jobs should help, too.

--
-- - - - Speaking for myself and not necessarily anybody else - - - - - -
Richard Gambrell        | Internet: [log in to unmask]